Subchapter C: ATHLETICS (1220)
Section 1220: BASEBALL PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSE, CODE, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Baseball Plan.
- (b) NUMBER OF GAMES, TOURNAMENTS AND SITES.
(1) Violations/Penalties. The District Executive Committee shall determine the penalty for violations of the regulations below.
(2) Total Number of Games. No team or student shall compete in more than three invitational tournaments plus 17 baseball games in a season, including all games prior to the first playoff game. This shall include non-district and district games. If the district champions have a bye for the first round of the play-offs, those schools may schedule a warm-up game in addition to the game limits. This additional game shall be played on a non-school night with no loss of school time. Three games may be substituted in place of a tournament.
(3) Exception To Resolve District Ties.
(A) Two Schools Tied. To resolve a two-way tie, the District Executive Committee may authorize a single elimination game. The tie-breaking game may be in addition to the allowed number of games delineated above but may not be played as an exception to the school week limitation.
(B) Three or More Schools Tied. If three or more schools are tied, the District Executive Committee may authorize a single elimination tournament in addition to the total number of games and tournaments allowed for the season.
(4) Invitational Tournament Restriction.
(A) No team shall participate in an invitational baseball tournament held on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, except on school holidays. However, games in tournaments may be played after school on the last day of the school week prior to holidays.
(B) Tournament Restriction. Baseball teams shall play no more than six total games in a tournament and no more than three games in any one day.
(5) Site of Game. The District Executive Committee in arranging a schedule within the district shall determine the place of games in case of disagreement between the two teams.
(6) Exception for Rescheduled Games. District varsity baseball games postponed by weather or public disaster (not including illness) shall be rescheduled on the next date, other than Sunday, on which another district game is not scheduled. In the event weather or public disaster forces the makeup game to be rescheduled it shall be rescheduled on the next date as described earlier. These makeup games may be played as an exception to the school week limitation. District varsity games that are postponed by weather or public disaster, and not played on the next available date, shall be rescheduled and played on a date determined by the District Executive Committee, but may not be made up as an exception to the school week limitation.
- (c) PLAYING DATES.
(1) Practice Dates. There shall be no organized or formal school baseball practice for a contestant or a team, before or after school, prior to the date set forth by the UIL calendar, and after the date for certifying district champions, except for teams that have not been eliminated from the playoffs.
(2) Scrimmages. Schools shall not scrimmage prior to the date set forth by the UIL calendar, not to exceed two scrimmages per calendar week, Monday through Saturday. Scrimmages are subject to the one contest per school week limitation.
(3) Games. Schools shall not play their first game until the 16th Monday prior to the State Baseball Tournament.
(4) School Equipment. It will be considered a school game if a team is wearing school uniforms and/or using school equipment following the close of the regular UIL season.
(5) Non-School Participation. Refer to Section 1209.
- (d) TIES IN DISTRICT AND NON-DISTRICT GAMES.
- Unless otherwise specified by district minutes prior to the beginning of season, a regulation district or non-district game called with a tie score after five innings have been played (and a winner cannot be determined) shall be counted as one-half game won and one-half game lost for each team. The game shall not be replayed provided five innings have been completed. If five innings have not been completed, the game shall be replayed from the start.
- (e) GAME CALLED BEFORE COMPLETION.
- If a district or non-district game is called before completion of the number of innings and conditions as specified in National Federation Baseball Rules, the umpire shall declare the contest “no game”. Unless otherwise specified by district minutes prior to the season, the game will be replayed from the start. In games beyond the district level, a game begun, then suspended, shall continue at a later time from the point of suspension.
- (f) POST SEASON PLAYOFFS.
(1) Day of Playoff Game. Playoffs games shall not be played before Thursday of that week unless by mutual consent.
(2) Playoffs. Playoffs may be single elimination or two-out-of-three from bi-district to state. If neither method is mutually agreeable, a coin flip shall determine play-off format. Exception: In the first round of the playoffs only, the district champion will have the choice of a single game or two-out-of-three series.
(3) Two-out-of-Three Series. If schools play a two-out-of-three elimination series, the first and second games may be played prior to Friday. Game three shall not be played until Friday. If one game is played and a second game cannot be played because of weather, then the winner of the one game advances to the next round. If two games are played (and split) and the third game cannot be played on Saturday because of weather conditions, the third and deciding game should be played on Monday of the next week.
(4) State Tournament. All conferences will be single elimination at the state tournament.
(5) Disputes. In case there is a dispute regarding a neutral or home site or time of a game it shall be settled by the flip of a coin. Refer to Section 1208 (o).
(6) Playoff Games. In playoff games, a suspended game shall be continued from the point of suspension at a later time.
(7) Gate Receipts From State Tournament. The UIL office retains an annually determined percentage of gate receipts from the state baseball tournament.