Subchapter C: ATHLETICS (1230)
Section 1230: BASKETBALL PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSE, CODES, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Basketball Plan.
- (b) DATES FOR PRACTICES, GAMES AND CERTIFICATIONS FOR GIRLS AND BOYS, ALL CONFERENCES.
(1) Practice Dates.
(A) Girls. There shall be no school basketball practice for a student or a team in girls basketball, before or after school until the 20th Wednesday prior to the Girls State Basketball Tournament or during the five-day holiday restriction, or after the last date for certifying district champions, except for teams who have not been eliminated in playoffs.
(B) Boys. There shall be no school basketball practice for a student or a team in boys basketball, before or after school until the 20th Wednesday prior to the Boys State Basketball Tournament or during the five day holiday restriction, or after the last date for certifying district champions, except for teams who have not been eliminated in playoffs.
(2) Scrimmages. Teams in girls basketball are allowed to scrimmage beginning with the 18th Saturday prior to the Girls State Basketball Tournament. Teams in boys basketball are allowed to scrimmage beginning with the 18th Saturday prior to the Boys State Basketball Tournament. Only one scrimmage is permitted between Monday and the end of the school day on Friday of any one school week. Teams are limited to a maximum of two total scrimmages and may use them any time before playing their first game.
(3) Interschool Games. No interschool games in girls basketball shall be played until the 17th Friday prior to the Girls State Basketball Tournament. No interschool games in boys basketball shall be played until the 17th Friday prior to the Boys State Basketball Tournament. Schools may not play games during the five-day holiday restriction. Except for teams in the playoffs, schools may not play games after the last date for certifying district champions.
(4) District Games. District games may not be played prior to December 15, except by unanimous consent of all district members.
(5) Basketball Season, Dates. Refer to Official Calendar and Basketball Manual.
(6) Off-Season Workouts. Refer to Section 1206.
- (c) NUMBER OF GAMES TOURNAMENTS AND SITES.
(1) Violations/Penalties. The District Executive Committee shall determine the penalty for violations of the following regulations.
(2) Number of Games Per Day. No high school team or contestant shall participate in more than two interschool basketball games per day, including tournament games. Exception: Contestants and teams may play three games in a one-day tournament scheduled on a Saturday.
(3) Total Number of Games. No team or student shall compete in more than three invitational tournaments plus 21 basketball games in a season, including all games prior to the first playoff game. This shall include non-district and district games and games played in pre-scheduled district tournaments. If the district champions have a bye for the first round of the play-offs, those schools may schedule a warm-up game in addition to the game limits. This additional game shall be played on a non-school night with no loss of school time. Two games may be substituted in place of a tournament.
(4) Exception To Resolve District Ties.
(A) Two Schools Tied. To resolve a two-way tie, the District Executive Committee may authorize a single elimination game provided only one other matched game is played that calendar week. The tie-breaking game may be in addition to the 21 allowed games, but not as an exception to the school week limitation.
(B) Three or More Schools Tied. If three or more schools are tied, the District Executive Committee may authorize a tournament provided only two matched games have been played that week, using the procedure in Section 1203. These tournament games may be played in addition to the total number of games and tournaments allowed for the season.
(5) Invitational Tournament Restriction. No team shall participate in an invitational basketball tournament held on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, except on school holidays. (Note: This provision does not apply to (c)(4)(B) above.) However, games in tournaments may be played after school on the last day of the school week prior to holidays.
(6) Number of Games Per Week.
(A) Matched Games Only. No high school team or contestant shall participate in more than two matched games (as distinguished from tournaments) per calendar week. Refer to Section 5.
(B) Week of an Invitational Tournament. No team or contestant shall participate in more than one matched game during the calendar week of an invitational tournament.
(C) Week of a District Tournament. No team or contestant shall participate in more than two matched games during the calendar week of a district tournament, including a district tournament authorized by the District Executive Committee to resolve a tie for district championship. To be considered a district tournament, at least three teams shall be assembled at one site for an elimination contest on consecutive days. Refer to Section 1203.
(7) Exception When Games Are Substituted For Tournaments. Students and teams may play in three matched games per calendar week under the following conditions:
(A) Two of the three games are being played instead of a tournament; and
(B) Two of the three games are on a Friday and a Saturday, or on a night prior to a school holiday and a non-school day.
(8) Exceptions During December/January Holidays. Following the five-day holiday restriction until school resumes in January, schools may participate in no more than:
(A) two matched games during the calendar week of an invitational tournament;
(B) two matched games plus two matched games played in lieu of an invitational tournament during a calendar week; or
(C) three matched games during a calendar week if they are not participating in an invitational tournament or playing games in lieu of a tournament.
(9) Exception for Rescheduled Games. District varsity basketball games postponed by weather or public disaster (not including illness) shall be rescheduled on the next date, other than Sunday, on which another district game is not scheduled. In the event weather or public disaster forces the makeup game to be rescheduled, it shall be rescheduled on the next date as described earlier. These makeup games may be played as exceptions to the school week and calendar week limitations. District varsity games that are postponed by weather or public disaster, and not played on the next available date, shall be rescheduled and played on a date determined by the District Executive Committee.
(10) Site of Game. The District Executive Committee in arranging a schedule within the district shall determine the place of games in case the two teams disagree.
(11) Boys’, Girls’ Team Restrictions. No girls’ team shall play in a game against a boys’ team and vice versa.
- (d) POST-DISTRICT RECEIPTS.
- Sixteen percent of the gate receipts, after fees for referees, scorer and timer are deducted, shall be paid to the UIL for all post-district games except games played at the state tournaments. The UIL office retains an annually determined percentage of gate receipts from the state basketball tournament.
- (e) OFF-SEASON PARTICIPATION.
- Refer to Section 1209.