Subchapter C: ATHLETICS (1340)
Section 1340: WRESTLING PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSES, CODES, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Wrestling Plan.
- (b) DIVISIONS.
(1) There shall be two divisions for high school boys and two divisions for high school girls, in conferences 5A and 6A only. Conference 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A schools may compete for full honors in conference 5A.
(2) Boys’, Girls’ Restriction. No high school boy shall wrestle against a high school girl and vice versa. This prohibition is only applicable when the contest is held in Texas or in any other state that sponsors wrestling programs for both boys and girls. Refer to Official Interpretation #05-09-01, Appendix I.
- (c) DATES FOR COMPETITION.
(1) Refer to Official Calendar.
(2) No school or student-athlete representing a school shall participate in a tournament or dual meet until the first Monday following the football district certification deadline and after the date for certifying district representatives.
- (d) MEETS AND TOURNAMENTS.
(1) Number of Tournaments. No student representing a member school shall participate in more than eight tournaments during the school season excluding one district tournament and the regional and state tournaments. Each tournament the school team enters counts as one meet for each participating individual. Students are considered to be representing their school if they are wearing and/or using school equipment or being directed or transported by a school employee.
(2) Exceptions. Dual, triangular and quadrangular meets do not count as a tournament for participants provided there is no loss of school time.
(3) School Week Limitation. No student representing a member school shall participate in more than one contest (tournament, dual, triangular or quadrangular) per school week (the first instructional day of the calendar week through the last school day). Exception: Regional and state competition.
- (e) END OF SEASON.
- Students and teams shall not represent a member school in any wrestling meet or tournament after the date of the State Individual Championships.
- (f) RULES.
- All UIL tournaments will be conducted in accordance with National Federation Rules.
- (g) CHAMPIONSHIP STRUCTURE.
- Refer to the Wrestling Coaches Manual for the championship structure.