Subchapter C: ATHLETICS (1290)
Section 1290: SWIMMING PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSES, CODES, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Swimming Plan.
- (b) DIVISIONS.
- There shall be two divisions for high school boys and two divisions for high school girls, Conferences 6A and 5A and below.
- (c) ENTRIES.
(1) Girls’, Boys’ Team Restrictions. No girls’ team shall compete against a boys’ team and vice versa.
(2) District Entry. Each school shall submit the official entry files with qualifying times to the meet director on or before the fifth day prior to the district meet unless other arrangements have been authorized by the District Executive Committee.
(3) Regional Entry. It shall be the responsibility of the district director to submit the district report to the regional director by midnight of the final day of the district meet
(4) State Entry. It shall be the responsibility of the regional director to submit the regional report to the UIL office by midnight of the final day of the regional meet.
(5) Relay Events. In relay events, qualification is by school. Schools may change personnel on relay teams prior to the next UIL qualifying meet according to National Federation regulations.
- (d) SUBSTITUTION IN INDIVIDUAL EVENTS.
- After the entry deadline, there shall be no substitution allowed in the individual events according to National Federation Rules. If the individual place winner cannot compete in the next higher meet, the next place winner may be certified if time allows.
- (e) QUALIFICATIONS.
(1) Regional Meet Qualifications. It shall be the responsibility of the district director to submit the district report to the regional meet director by midnight of the day of the district meet. The regional director may contact alternate qualifiers to replace individual school entries who are scratched, if time permits.
(2) State Meet Qualifications. It shall be the responsibility of the regional meet director to submit the regional report to the state meet director by midnight of the day of the regional meet. The UIL office shall contact additional qualifiers to the state meet after individual school entries are received.
- (f) NUMBER OF MEETS.
(1) Number of Meets. No student representing a member school shall participate in more than eight meets during the school year, excluding one district meet, the regional meet and the state meet. Each meet a school team enters counts as one meet for each participating individual. Students are considered to be representing their school if they are wearing and/or using school equipment or being directed or transported by a school employee. Meets, which are limited to three or fewer schools, do not count as a meet for participants, provided there is no loss of school time.
(2) School Week Limitation. No student representing a member school shall participate in more than one meet per school week (the first instructional day of the week through the last school day). Exceptions: The regional and state meet and district varsity meets postponed by weather or public disaster, may also be scheduled during the school week.
- (g) CONSOLATION FINALS.
- There shall be no consolation finals in district meets. Refer to Swimming Manual for scoring.
- (h) CHAMPIONSHIP STRUCTURE.
(1) District Meets. District meets shall be held in districts with more than six individuals or relays in any event.
(2) Qualifiers to Regional.
- (A) In the 6A and 5A conferences, the top six individuals and relays shall qualify from district to regional.
- (B) In the 4A and below conference, the top four individuals and relays shall qualify from district to regional.
(3) Qualifiers to State.
- (A) In the 6A and 5A conferences, the first place and second place in each of eight regional swimming meets and the next eight swimmers with the best regional final times overall will advance to the state meet.
- (B) In the 4A and below conference, the first place and second place in each of four regional swimming meets and the next eight swimmers with the best regional final times overall will advance to the state meet.
- (A) In the 6A and 5A conferences, in diving, three divers will qualify at each of eight regional meets.
- (B) In the 4A and below conference, in diving, four divers will qualify at each of four regional meets.
(5) Timing. Swimmers shall have been electronically timed unless the UIL office grants an exception.
(6) Ties. If ties occur for positions to the state competition, the times of the competitors from the regional preliminary competition will be considered first with the competitor with the fastest preliminary time advancing to the state meet. If a tie should still exist, then decision as to which qualifier will advance will be made by a coin toss.