Subchapter C: ATHLETICS (1330)
Section 1330: GIRL'S VOLLEYBALL PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSES, CODES, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Girls’ Volleyball Plan.
- (b) DATES FOR PRACTICES, MATCHES AND CERTIFICATIONS.
(1) Practice Dates.
(A) There shall be no high school volleyball practice for a contestant or a team until the first week in August as determined by the UIL calendar. Refer to Section 1478 for seventh and eighth grade restrictions.
(2) School Practice Regulations Outside the School Year.
(A) Student-athletes shall not engage in more than three hours of practice activities on those days during which one practice is conducted.
(B) Student-athletes shall not engage in more than five hours of practice activities on those days during which more than one practice is conducted.
(C) The maximum length of any single practice session shall be three hours.
(D) On days when more than one practice is conducted, there shall be, at a minimum, two hours of rest/recovery time between the end of one practice and the beginning of the next practice.
(3) Scrimmage Dates. Schools shall not scrimmage until the first date allowed on the UIL calendar. Teams and schools may participate in an unlimited number of scrimmages prior to the first day of school. After the first match, scrimmages are not permitted.
(4) Matches. Schools shall not participate in a match until the first date allowed on the UIL calendar or after the last date for certifying district representatives, except for teams who have not been eliminated in playoffs.
(5) First Two Weeks of Season. During each of the first two calendar weeks allowed for matches on the UIL Official Calendar, teams or students shall participate in no more than three matches (or dual matches) plus one tournament. The second and third match of the calendar week shall be after the last instructional day of the school week if school is in session.
(6) Remainder of Season. After the first two calendar weeks allowed for matches, teams or students are limited to no more than two matches (or dual matches) during each calendar week, plus one tournament. The second match of the calendar week shall be after the last instructional day of the school week.
(7) Beginning First Day of School. On and after the first day of school, teams are limited to no more than one scrimmage, match or dual match during the school week. School week means the week beginning at 12:01 a.m. on the first instructional day of a calendar week and ending at the close of instruction on the last instructional day of the calendar week, excluding holidays.
- (c) NUMBER OF SCRIMMAGES, MATCHES, TOURNAMENTS.
(1) Violations/Penalties. The District Executive Committee shall determine the penalty for violations of the following regulations.
(2) Game-Matches Defined. A game shall be defined as when a team has scored 25 points and is at least two points ahead. A match shall be defined as when a team has won three games out of five.
(3) Total Number of Games, Matches, Tournaments. No team or student shall compete in more than three invitational tournaments plus 23 matches in a season, including all matches prior to the first playoff match. This shall include non-district and district matches. If the district champions have a bye for the first round of the play-offs, those schools may schedule a warm-up match in addition to the match limits. This additional match shall be played on a non-school night with no loss of school time. Two matches may be substituted in place of a tournament.
(4) Substituting Dual Matches for Regular Matches. Dual matches consisting of two or more teams may be played. A team may play two other teams or play the same team twice at the same site. The second match shall be played as soon following the first match as possibly can be scheduled. A dual match will count as one of the two contests allowed per calendar week (in addition to a tournament), and will count as two of the 23 total matches allowed per season.
(5) Exception To Resolve District Ties.
(A) Two Schools Tied. To resolve a two-way tie, the District Executive Committee may authorize a single elimination match, provided only one other match is played that calendar week. The tie-breaking match may be in addition to the 23 allowed matches. It may not be played as an exception to the school week limitation.
(B) Three or More Schools Tied. If three or more schools are tied, the District Executive Committee may authorize a tournament provided only two matches have been played that week, using the procedure in Section 1203. These tournament matches may be played in addition to the total number of matches and tournaments allowed for the season.
(6) Exception for Rescheduled Matches. District varsity volleyball matches postponed by weather or public disaster (not including illness) shall be rescheduled on the next date, other than Sunday, on which another district match is not scheduled. In the event weather or public disaster forces the makeup match to be rescheduled, it shall be rescheduled on the next date as described earlier. These makeup matches may be played as exceptions to the school week and calendar week limitations. District varsity games that are postponed by weather or public disaster, and not played on the next available date, shall be rescheduled and played on a date determined by the District Executive Committee.
(7) Invitational Tournament Restriction. No team shall participate in an invitational volleyball tournament held on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, except on school holidays. However, matches or games in tournaments may be played after school on the last day of the school week prior to holidays.
(8) Invitational Tournament Exception. Volleyball tournaments may be scheduled on non-consecutive days. A two-day tournament shall not be scheduled on Thursday and Friday. A one-day tournament shall be scheduled on Saturday.
(9) Number of Matches Per Day in Tournaments. No team or student shall compete in more than three matches per day in tournament play. Exception: Contestants or teams may play in four matches per calendar day in a one-day tournament scheduled on a Saturday, and contestants or teams may play in four matches per day during a two-day tournament.
- (d) SITE OF MATCH.
- The District Executive Committee in arranging a schedule within the district shall determine the site of matches in case of disagreement between two teams.
- (e) BOYS PROHIBITED.
- Boys shall not compete on girls’ teams.
- (f) OFF SEASON PARTICIPATION.
- See Section 1209.
- (g) GATE RECEIPTS FROM STATE TOURNAMENT.
- The UIL office retains an annually determined percentage of gate receipts from the state volleyball tournament.