Subchapter C: Athletics (1340)
Section 1340: WATER POLO PLAN
- (a) ATHLETIC PURPOSES, CODES, PLAN APPLICABLE.
- Rules in Sections 1200-1209 also apply to the Water Polo Plan.
- (b) DATES FOR PRACTICES, GAMES AND CERTIFICATIONS.
(1) Practice Dates.
(A) There shall be no high school water polo practice for a contestant or a team until the first week in August as determined by the UIL calendar. see section 1478 for seventh and eighth grade restrictions.
(2) School Practice Regulations Outside the School Year. Any water polo practice conducted by a school outside the school year shall be in accordance with the following regulations:
(A) Student-athletes shall not engage in more than three hours of practice activities on those days during which one practice is conducted.
(B) Student-athletes shall not engage in more than five hours of practice activities on those days during which more than one practice is conducted.
(C) The maximum length of any single practice session shall be three hours.
(D) On days when more than one practice is conducted, there shall be, at a minimum, two hours of rest/recovery time between the end of one practice and the beginning of the next practice.
(3) Scrimmage Dates. Schools shall not scrimmage until the first date allowed on the UIL calendar. Teams and schools may participate in an unlimited number of scrimmages prior to the first day of school. after the first game, scrimmages are no longer permitted.
(4) Games. Schools shall not participate in a game until the first date allowed on the UIL calendar or after the last date for certifying district representatives, except for teams who have not been eliminated in playoffs.
- (c) NUMBER OF SCRIMMAGES, GAMES, TOURNAMENTS.
(1) Violations/Penalties. The district executive committee shall determine the penalty for violations of the following regulations.
(2) Total Number of Games and Tournaments. No team or student shall compete in more than three invitational tournaments plus 17 games in a season, including all games prior to the first playoff game. This shall include nondistrict and district games. if the district champions have a bye for the first round of the play-offs, those schools may schedule a warm-up game in addition to the game limits. This additional game shall be played on a non-school night with no loss of school time. Three games may be substituted in place of a tournament.
(3) Exception to Resolve District Ties.
(A) Two schools tied. To resolve a twoway tie, the district executive committee may authorize a single elimination game, provided only one other game is played that calendar week. The tiebreaking game may be in addition to the 17 allowed games. It may not be played as an exception to the school week limitation.
(B) Three or more schools tied. If three or more schools are tied, the district executive committee may authorize a tournament provided only two games have been played that week, using the procedure in section 1203. These tournament games may be played in addition to the total number of games and tournaments allowed for the season.
(4) Exception for Rescheduled Games. District varsity water polo games postponed by weather or public disaster (not including illness) shall be rescheduled on the next date, other than Sunday, on which another district game is not scheduled. In the event weather or public disaster forces the makeup games to be rescheduled, it shall be rescheduled on the next date as described earlier. These makeup games may be played as exceptions to the school week and calendar week limitations. District varsity games that are postponed by weather or public disaster, and not played on the next available date, shall be rescheduled and played on a date determined by the district executive committee.
(5) Invitational Tournament Restriction. No team shall participate in an invitational water polo tournament held on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, except on school holidays. however, games in tournaments may be played after school on the last day of the school week prior to holidays.
(6) Invitational Tournament Exception. Water polo tournaments may be scheduled on non-consecutive days. A two-day tournament shall not be scheduled on Thursday and Friday. A one-day tournament shall be scheduled on Saturday.
(7) Number of Games Per Day in Tournaments. No team or student shall compete in more than three games per day in tournament play. Exception: Contestants or teams may play in four games per calendar day in a oneday tournament scheduled on a Saturday, and contestants or teams may play in four games per day during a two-day tournament.
- (d) CHAMPIONSHIP STRUCTURE.
(1) District Tournaments.
(A) Format. The district executive committee will make arrangements and set format to determine the district representatives.
(2) Regional Tournaments.
(A) Regional Qualifiers. Regional quarterfinal winners will advance to a regional tournament. Regional tournament entries shall be certified by regional quarterfinal winners to the regional director.
(B) State tournament.