- AED Quick Reference Guide
- American Heart Association AED Implementation Guide
- Automated External Defibrillator Q&A
- Emergency Response Planning Q&A
- Good Samaritan Law
- Key Requirements for AED Use and Ownership
- Sample AED Protocol
- Sample Internal Medical Emergency Response Plan
- Where Can I Get an AED?
Automated External Defibrillator Information
UIL rules requires at least one Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on each UIL member high school campus. Additionally, each school should have a plan for the implementation, coordination and maintenance of the AED. The campus AED must be readily available during any UIL athletic contest on campus, and an AED must be available at UIL athletic activities held at locations other than the school campus.
Every campus is required to have an Automated External Defibrillator and must also comply with the following mandates of state law:
- School districts must annually make CPR and AED training available to employees.
- All coaches, nurses, PE teachers, band directors, cheerleader sponsors, and student trainers maintain current certification in CPR and AED.
- At least 1 AED must be located on every campus (including elementary, junior high and high school).
- The campus AED must be readily available during any UIL athletic contest on campus, and a determination made (in cooperation with UIL) the extent to which an AED must be available at UIL athletic activities held at locations other than the school campus.
- Schools must make reasonable effort to ensure that an AED is available at each UIL practice held at a district campus. If school cannot provide an AED at every practice, the school must determine (in cooperation with UIL) to what extent the campus AED must be available at each practice.
- Schools are required to develop safety procedures to follow in responding to a medical emergency involving cardiac arrest, including appropriate response time for CPR and use of AED.
Specifically, UIL recommends that schools and school districts refer to the American Heart Association AED Implementation Guide when determining placement and utilization of campus and district AEDs.