Every great journey begins with a first step, and the visionaries who built the League recognized that the first steps toward educational excellence must begin early. Academic competition for younger students was a part of the UIL program almost from the beginning, with the first junior division Declamation contest for students aged 10-14 in 1913. The first competition for students under age 10 was Spelling, which began a sub-junior division in 1921.
The program of academic competition for elementary, middle school and junior high officially became "A+ Academics" in 2008. A+ Academics includes 20 different events for grades 2-8. These events span the curriculum - they are designed to complement and expand upon what students learn in the classroom, both through learning specific subject knowledge, and through learning skills that are valuable in many disciplines. Approximately 3,000 Texas schools participate in A+ Academics, competing in more than 300 district meets each year.
Updates and Frequently Requested Information
- UIL A+ Academics and TEKS Correlations
- A+ Frequently Asked Questions
- A+ Music Memory List for 2022-23 is posted
- A+ Art List for 2021-2023 is posted
- A+ Spelling list for 2022-23 is posted
- A+ Modern Oratory topics for 2022-23 are posted
- A+ Social Studies outlines for 2022-23 are posted
- A+ One-Act Play for Junior High - Handbook and Information
- Visit the A+ Chess Puzzle page for study and practice resources.
A+ Resources to Share
Click HERE to email any contest or practice A+ material that you would like to share with A+ UIL coaches and coordinators. Shared materials are available here.
A+ Academics News & Updates
Congratulations to Chisum Middle School A+ Students
Congratulations to Chisum Middle School A+ students in their UIL academic competitive accomplishments!
A+ Spelling Answer Sheets
Below are the A+ Spelling answer sheets that include a second page for each. If you received an A+ Handbook before October 12th, it is possible the handbook did not include the second page.
Congratulations to these UIL A+ Academic competitors who excelled in their contests!
Congratulations to our A+ Academic Chess Puzzle Contestants!
Congratulations to UIL A+ Academic students who competed in a Chess Puzzle event on February 16!
A+ Fall/Winter District Materials
Our office is preparing to send meet directors materials for fall/winter district meets.
If you requested printed meet materials by the deadline to order, here is when your materials will arrive:
* December 1- December 6 Meets- ship to arrive by November 18
* December 7- December 15 Meets- ship to arrive by December 3
* January 3- January 11 Meets- ship to arrive by December 16
* January 13- January 22 Meets- ship to arrive by January 7
* January 24- January 29 Meets- ship to arrive by January 14
If you requested digital files, here is when the email with meet material will arrive:
*December Meets- Will be emailed on November 11
* January Meets- Will be emailed on December 3
A+ campus RegistratION
Each A+ participating school must register with the UIL state office each year. A+ Handbooks will be emailed to coordinators once their registration is processed.
A+ DISTRICT MEET ORDER FORM
If you are hosting a district meet, submit this form to register your meet with our office and to request your meet materials.