Subchapter A: ACADEMICS (944)
Section 944: HIGH SCHOOL NUMBER SENSE CONTEST
- (a) THE CONTEST.
(1) Purpose. The Number Sense Contest emphasizes the mental processes used to achieve mathematical calculations with no help from calculators, computers, or pen and paper, and to develop the use of specific techniques and strategies to make mathematical judgments and develop useful strategies for handling numbers and operations.
(2) Format. The contest will consist of questions testing mental calculations of concepts from basic mathematics, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, analysis, number theory and calculus. Types of problems and concepts can be found on the Problem Sequencing Chart for the UIL High School Number Sense Test.
(3) Late Arrivals. Qualified contestants not present when the tests are distributed will be disqualified.
- (b) ENTRIES.
(1) Individual Competition. Each member high school may enter as many as four individuals in the district meet.
(2) Team Competition. A school shall have a minimum of three contestants compete in order to participate in the team competition. All four members of the winning team will advance to the next higher level of competition.
- (c) QUALIFICATION.
- Individuals, teams and wildcards qualify for the next level of competition according to Section 902.
- (d) TIES.
(1) Individual Competition. No ties are to be broken.
(2) Team Competition. Refer to Section 902 (h)(3)(D).