Basketball Frequently Asked Questions
+ Show All Answers
- What happens if a player is ejected from a game by the game official?
- New, beginning August 1, 2018, an automatic penalty will be assessed to players who are ejected from a team sport contest. Players will be suspended the rest of the game they are ejected from and at least part of the next contest, depending on the sport they are participating in.
- If a game is cancelled/postponed due to weather or other natural disaster (not including illness), how can that game be rescheduled?
- District varsity basketball games postponed by weather or public disaster (not including illness) shall be rescheduled on the next date, other than Sunday, on which another district game is not scheduled. In the event weather or public disaster forces the makeup game to be rescheduled it shall be rescheduled on the next date as described earlier. These makeup games may be played as exceptions to the school week and calendar week limitations provided they are made up on the next availalbe date.
- May students participate in non-school activities?
- UIL rule does not prohibit students from attending camps or playing on non-school teams during the school year. However, local district practices/poicies may be more restrictive.
- May school district personnel coach non-school teams?
- A 7-12 grade coach may not coach a non-school team or camp on which 7-12 grade players from his attendance zone are involved. For further information on non-schol activites, see the non-school participation manual and section 1209 of the Constitution and Contest Rules.
- How many games may a student participate in each day?
- Students and teams may participate in two games per day (including tournaments). Exception: Three games may be played in a one-day tournament on Saturday.
- May students participate in two interschool games and an invitations tournament in the same calendar week?
- No. Teams are limited to two matched games per calendar week. The week of an invitational tournament, only one matched game may be played.
- Does the UIL still have the 14' exception to the NFHS rule for the coaching box?
- No. Beginning with the 2018-19 basketball season, the UIL has removed the exception to the NFHS coaching box rule. The coaching box for UIL basketball in now 28'.
- Can a team wear a light silver colored uniform for their home games?
- No. According to NFHS rule 3-1-1c, the torso color of basketball uniforms shall be white for the home team and a contrasting dark color fo the visiting team.