Volleyball Rally Scoring Regulations
- 3 out of 5 to 25 (no cap)
- 5th game to 15 (no cap)
- The let serve shall be allowed
- Each team shall be allowed two time-outs per game
Sub-Varsity and Junior High
According to Rule 1 Section 2 Article 1, Note 2 of the NFHS Volleyball Rule Book:
“By state high school association adoption, modification of match format is permitted for series other than dual varsity matches.”
For purposes of the above note from the NFHS Volleyball Rule Book, as long as the modification does not increase playing time above what is allowed in NFHS rules, the participating schools shall mutually agree on the length and format of any sub varsity or junior high volleyball match.
Tournament Play - All Levels
- Pool play "mini games" must consist of two rally scored games to 15 (cap at 20)
- Pool play games start at 0-0
- During pool play, regulation matches can be utilized, provided no team exceeds their total number of allowed matches per day (three matches per day in a three day tournament, or four matches per day during a two day tournament or a one day tournament scheduled on a Saturday).
- It is permissible for varsity teams to use either the 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 format during tournament play.
- If the 2 out of 3 format is used, it will be 2 out of 3 to 25 (cap at 30), with the third game being played to 25 (cap at 30).
Varsity Dual and Tri-Matches
- Varsity dual and tri-matches must be played using the 3 out of 5 format. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- It is recommended that schools use the 15 minute warm-up procedure that is used at the state tournament. Each team will have the court for six minutes. Both teams will share the court for the last three minutes for serves.