A+ Academics Resources
This is a list of independent companies who advertise preparatory materials for UIL elementary and junior high academic contests. The University Interscholastic League is not affiliated with any of the companies and cannot be responsible for any of their products or services.
AMT Test Writing Service
- 675 Miller Rd., Azle, TX 76020
- Phone: 817-444-3655
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Offers Number Sense: Elements of Number Sense by Jim Cummings. Contains preparatory material for the Number Sense Contest. Accepts School PO's, checks, M/C, Visa, Amex, Disc.
ASW Enterprises, LLC
- 1501 W Angeline, Groesbeck, TX 76642
- Phone: 800-627-9030; Fax: 888-627-7209
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.aswenterprises.com
- Supplies materials for the Spelling Contest. Offers complete practice materials, including computer programs, audio CDs and printed materials. Also customized Invitational Tests.
Best of Texas
- 6318 Palmetto Way, San Antonio, TX 78253
- Phone: (210) 241-4734; Fax: (210) 236-9445
- Email: Peggy Markham firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.bestoftexascontest.com
- Apps for smart phones and tablets -- both iOS and Android -- in Spelling, Social Studies, Art, and Music Memory.
- 600 Farm Hill Dr., Georgetown, TX 78633
- Phone/Fax: 512-819-9585
- Email: email@example.com
- Supplies "Conquering RPN Calculators!" a 112-page, step-by-step manual with practice exercises using Hewlett-Packard Calculators.
- 3606 Hillbrook, Austin, TX 78731
- Phone: 512-459-0033; Fax: 512-459-0050
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.StudioKay.com
- Supplies computer software for the Music Memory Contest.
- PO Box 199, Hunt, TX 78024-0199
- 800/391-2891 or 830-367-3825; Fax: 830-367-3824
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.hexco.com
- Supplies materials for both High School and Grade School contests – Accounting, Art, Computer Applications, Computer Science, Current Issues & Events, Dictionary Skills, Journalism, Literary Criticism, Maps Graphs and Charts, Number Sense, Oral Reading, Ready Writing, Science, Social Studies, Storytelling, and Spelling & Vocabulary. Hexco offers an array of software, videos, online flashcards, and printed products. The company also writes and sells invitational tests for 12 dates per year. Experienced authors and editors.
Mental Mathematics for Number Sense
- Frances Walzel
- 2023 CR 208, Cameron, TX 76520
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 254-697-3335 (attention Frances)
- Materials for primary, secondary and college levels. Offers 103-page booklet of problems, keys and coded pages for elementary and secondary number sense. This book can be used as a resource for a mathematical background in all high school classes.
Mighty Music Publishing
- 40 N. IH 35, #11D1, Austin, TX 78701
- Phone: 800-809-8963; Fax: 512-233-1084
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.musicmemory.com
- Supplies materials for the Music Memory Contest - offering a variety of packages containing Animated Listening Maps and audio CDs of the selections from the Official List. Materials also include exciting lesson plans, wall signs, flash cards, practice tests, picture tests, and other curriculum materials. Contest CD and Music Memory software are also available.
- Jamie Pennington
- 412 Paradise Canyon Circle, Paradise, TX, 76073
- Phone: 817-403-0669
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.uiltests.com
- Offers practice test sets and invitational tests for 5th/6th and 7th/8th Grade Social Studies, Science I & II, Maps, Charts, and Graphs, Dictionary Skills, Math, and Number Sense.
- Website: www.NumberDojo.com
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/numberdojo
- Free resources include the Number Dojo iPhone app, Number Sensei blog with over 100 concepts and free worksheets, Mathing Bee contest info, and contest maps listing information for all published number sense meets. Also flash cards, worksheets, curriculum and concept reference indexes (solution manuals) for purchase.
Dr. Numsen/Doug Ray
- PO Box 312578, New Braunfels, TX 78131
- Phone: 512-797-2158; Fax: 208-575-9617
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.academicmeet.com
- Provides workbooks and practice tests for elementary and junior high Number Sense, Calculator Applications, and Mathematics. Available for Workshops. Author of Mastering Number Sense and Mastering Calculator Applications workbooks. Also available: Mastering Number Sense Drill Master (online practice software) and Trick Center (online videos).
Leo Ramirez, Sr.
- 9801 W. Parmer Lane #2622, Austin, TX 78717
- Phone: 956-491-3155 (cell)
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.rammaterials.com/
- Number Sense, Calculator Applications, Mathematics and Science practice tests, DVDS, and workbooks (including UIL, PSIA,and TMSCA Number Sense and UIL, PSIA, and TMSCA Mathematics workbooks) are available. Mr. Ramirez is also available for writing invitational meet tests and conducting workshops.
myQBook Online Preparation Programs in Number Sense and Mathematics for all levels
myQBook Meets: Monthly Free Online Meets in Number Sense and Mathematics for all levels.
- Contact: Mary Jacob
- 1008 Big Canyon Drive, Flower Mound, TX 75028
- myQBook Programs: www.myqbook.com; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 972-968-8072
- myQBook Meets: www.myqbookmeets.org; E-mail: email@example.com; Phone: 214-469-9521
- myqBook provides complete online preparation programs in Number Sense and Mathematics for elementary, middle and high school levels. Each program offers more than 350 concept explanations with many solved sample problems and 5 to 10 additional practice questions for each concept. Each program also offers 20 full-length online tests. Visit www.myQBook.com and register with the ambassador code 2WFTNSMATH to get free trial access. Please email or call to get special discounted rates for schools.
- myQBook Meets offers free monthly online meets in Number Sense and Mathematics from October to April. Monthly cash awards are given to Teachers of winning teams. Visit www.myQBookMeets.org to register your team and participate.
- a division of Social Studies School Service
- 10200 Jefferson Blvd., Box 802
- Culver City, CA 90232
- phone: 800-421-4246
- fax: 800-944-5432
- Website: https://go.socialstudies.com/uil-desk-atlas
- Offers the official atlas used in UIL elementary and junior high academic contests
RMG Learning Solutions
- PO Box 930, Tatum, TX 75691
- Phone: 903-836-2198
- Email: Rebecca@RMGlearningsolutions.com
- Website: www.RMGlearningsolutions.com
- Supplies web-based interactive learning modules, practice materials, and practice tests for Dictionary Skills and Listening Skills for grades 5/6 and 7/8 as well as Ready Writing modules for Grades 3 - 8 and Editorial Writing for grades 6-8. Modules also include printable resources and tests that spiral skills learned and culminate with a final test. Online Spelling practice tests are available for Grades 3-8. Printable Coaching Guides are available for Dictionary Skills, Listening Skills, Creative Writing, Ready Writing, and Editorial Writing as part of the subscription price.
- PO Box 2686, Loveland, CO 80539
- Phone: 970-669-3755; Fax: 970-669-3755
- E-mail: JrStoryteller@storycraft.com
- Website: www.storycraft.com/co
- Storytelling skills teaching/learning materials.
- 1140 FM 3409, San Augustine, Texas 75972
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.texasacademics.com
- Website for hosting UIL Elementary and Junior High Meets. Creates rosters, student ids, tabulates results, and overall champions.
Texas Educational Paperbacks
- 3824 Cedar Springs Rd. #202, Dallas, TX 75219-4168
- Phone: 800-443-2078; Fax: 800-437-7070
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: https://tepbooks.com:4443/Default.aspx
- Offers the official dictionary used in UIL elementary and junior high academic contests with an educators' discount as well as the Nystrom Desk Atlas, which is the official source for the Maps, Graphs, & Charts contest.
Texas Math & Science Coaches Association (TMSCA)
- PO Box 206, Olney TX 76374
- Phone: 940-563-1005; Fax: 940-563-1006
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.tmsca.org
- Membership provides an information forum for coaches of math/science contests; access to purchase Practice Materials and Tournaments Tests for number sense, calculator, mathematics and science for high school, middle school and elementary levels; and access to enter on-line and state meets for all grade levels.
- PO Box 141727, Austin, TX 78714-1727
- Phone: 800-488-6346; Fax: 512-746-5400
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.tuneinnet.com
- Supplies materials for the following contests:
- Art - large and small prints of the 40 pictures on the Official List; audio CD tour; the combined pictures and tour are available on DVD; original tests in contest format.
- Creative Writing - learning guide; practice package.
- Dictionary Skills - prep materials; practice tests.
- Listening - practice materials in contest format.
- Maps, Graphs & Charts - packages containing audio and print preparation materials; practice tests.
- Oral Reading - video workshop.
- Spelling - recorded practice tests in contest format.
- Storytelling - audio storybook library; booklets of original stories.
The Virtual Challenge Middle School Meets
- Owner/Director: Chuck Thompson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 940-782-9898
- Website: www.virtualchallengemeets.com
- Offers a statewide testing program for the following contests for grades 4-8: Number Sense, Calculator, Listening, Mathematics, Science, Dictionary Skills, Maps, Graphs & Charts, Social Studies, and Spelling (including a new 3rd-4th Grade Spelling section).
- The Middle School Virtual Challenge Meets allow your team to compete in a season of 3 meets to prepare students for their UIL District Meet.
- Your combined elementary/middle school teams will enjoy unlimited entries in 16 different events in all 3 meets with no travel costs and all testing done on a customized schedule, all for one inexpensive combined Entry Fee.
- Additionally, we are currently allowing a remote/Zoom testing option that schools can utilize rather than face-to-face if necessary.
- Last year the Virtual Challenge Meets had over 600 schools participate, posting over 24,400 scores.