It is most important that each UIL member school stay current with all athletic rules and policies. This page contains sport specific rule and season information for softball. For additional information on UIL rules, refer to the policy section or the manuals section of our web site.
Softball and Baseball Limitations with STAAR Testing
According to section 33.0812 (a) and (e) of the Texas Education Code:
Sec. 33.0812. SCHEDULING EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
(a) The State Board of Education by rule shall prohibit participation in a University Interscholastic League area, regional, or state competition:
(1) on Monday through Thursday of the school week in which the primary administration of assessment instruments under Section 39.023(a), (c), or (l) occurs; or
(2) if the primary administration of the assessment instruments is completed before Thursday of the school week, beginning on Monday and ending on the last school day on which the assessment instruments are administered.
(e) This section does not apply to testing dates on which assessment instruments are administered only to students retaking assessment instruments.
It is the responsibility of each school to evaluate the testing calendar for students in their school to make determinations on participation in post season contests.
*Notes on STAAR testing
- If any student in the school is taking any test at any time that day (excluding those administered only to students retaking assessment instruments as noted above), no playoff game can be scheduled Monday through Thursday, as required by state law.
- Once testing is complete for the week, teams may schedule playoff games beginning the following day, provided they remain in compliance with UIL rules for scheduling playoff games.
- On Friday, when there are timed tests that end at a time certain, with school approval teams could travel no earlier than 30 minutes after the scheduled end of tests on Friday.
- If any test for any student on a team involved in a post-season contest occurs on Friday and is an untimed test, travel for that team is not permitted until the end of the school day.
- If there are conflicts between a playoff series and the state track meet, it is recommended (but not required) that schools schedule only a onegame series.
*** All dates, times, and materials are subject to change.
2014-15 UIL Athletic Rule Changes
Softball Dates - 2014-15
|Date||Event or Deadline|
|January 23||First day for practice|
|February 2||First day for interschool scrimmages|
|February 16||First day for playing interschool games|
|April 28||District Certification deadline|
|May 2||Bi-district deadline|
|May 9||Area deadline|
|May 16||Regional quarterfinal deadline|
|May 23||Regional semi-final deadline|
|May 30||Regional playoff deadline|
|June 3-6||State Tournament|