Sponsor Excellence Award
"The benefits of interscholastic competition and student performance are only possible through the commitment and dedication of sponsors, coaches, and directors like these award winners. The UIL is proud to recognize these individuals through this award."
— Dr. Charles Breithaupt,
UIL Executive Director
Purpose of the Award
The University Interscholastic League seeks to highlight the contributions of sponsors of UIL scholastic competition. This award is created to identify and recognize outstanding sponsors who assist students in developing and refining their extracurricular talents to the highest degree possible within the educational system while helping them to keep their personal worth separate from their success or failure in competition.
The Sponsor Excellence Award winners will receive a $1,000 cash award and an appropriate symbolic memento. All nominees will receive a personalized certificate from the University Interscholastic League.
Nominations are made in one of three categories: academic contest coaches (including One-Act Play), athletic coaches and music directors. Nominees must have sponsored high school activities for five years or more.
In the fall, the school principal and/or district superintendents will receive a link to the online nomination form and are encouraged to choose a nominee and submit their selection electronically no later than November 11, 2016. There can be only one nomination from each high school.
Criteria which will be considered in the selection process will include:
- Accomplishments of UIL participants as a result of sponsor leadership (a five-year minimum).
- Indication that the sponsor made maximum use of existing resources and student aptitude.
- Principal recommendation of the sponsor as a effective teacher in non-UIL classroom activities.
- A statement regarding the relative importance of competitive activities in the sponsor’s personal educational philosophy.
- The desire to recognize sponsors from each of the three categories of UIL activities.
The Executive Director of the University Interscholastic League will appoint a Committee of active and/or retired sponsors, administrators and other knowledgeable persons who will select the recipients of the awards.