Rule Changes & Corrections
2013-2014 Rule Changes
The following changes have been approved by the UIL Legislative Council and Texas Commissioner of Education and take effect for the 2013-2014 school year. Refer to the Constitution & Contest Rules for official wording.
Speech & Debate
- The UIL will pilot a contest in student congress for grades nine through twelve.
- Created a system of registration and certification for officials (contest managers) in the One-Act Play Contest.
- Created a scale of penalties for rules violations in the One-Act Play Contest. Entries could still be disqualified for violations regarding the number in the performing company, time limits on performance and set up and strike, the use of firearms, explosives and combustible materials, off-stage line prompting, use of additional unit set and the director being in the backstage areas or making contact with or communicating with the company during performance. Other violations become violations of the Ethics Code.
- Simplified the set rules and allowed for easier management of the contest. The rules still observe the standards of equity and safety but allow more flexibility and creativity on the part of the company and easier enforcement for the contest officials.
- The UIL will pilot a contest in student short film production.
A+ Academics (Grades 2-8)
- The addition of 6th grade to the grade levels officially eligible to participate in the A+ Editorial Writing, Impromptu Speaking and Modern Oratory contests.
- Chess Puzzle solving competition for grades 2-8 is an official competition.